ART & DESIGN
Art encourages us to express ourselves aiming to foster creativity and empathy by changing your self-image and metaphor. The purpose of studying art is to mould the minds of children to develop a positive nature and appreciate natural beauty and it makes us strive more intently, think much more deeply, and feel joy more profoundly.
Subcategories: Architecture, Fashion, Painting, Music, Photography.
You are expected to do research on the theme of the year, “Leadership: Inspire Change”, in the context of Art & Design. You may find the recommended resources below.
The study resources contain several movies and videos to watch, books and articles to read, topics to research, and questions to sharpen your knowledge.
1 – Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
2 – Whale Rider (2004)
3 – Kung Fu Panda (2008)
1 – Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (1999)
1 – Keanu Charles Reeves
2 – Leonardo Da Vinci
3 – Frida Khalo
1 – Follow the Leader by Suli Breaks
2 – How Are Great Artists and Great Leaders Similar by Nancy Adler
3 – Why is Vermeer’s “Girl with the Pearl Earring” considered a masterpiece? by Ted-Ed
4 – How Great Leaders Inspire Action by Simon Sinek
5 – 17 Words of Architectural Inspiration by Daniel Libeskind
6 – The Art of the Selfie (by Youtube Channel Artrageous with Nate)
7 – The Transformative Power of Classical Music by Benjamin Zander
ARTICLES & BLOGS
1 – How Art Teachers are Helping Build the Next Generation of Leaders by Wynita Harmon
2 – Who is Pablo Picasso? Welcome to the Experimental World of Pablo Picasso (via tate.org)
3 – Art and Leadership – What Does it Have in Common by Greg Albrecht
4 – Can the Arts Really Help and Inspire Better Leadership Performance by Željko Katušin
5 – Street Art, Innovation and Leadership by Bryan Searing
6 – Why Art Has the Power to Change the World by Olafur Eliasson
7 – 4 Ways Martial Arts Develops Children Into Leaders (via Evolve Daily)
- What is the connection between art & design and leadership?
- Why should leaders know about art & design?
- What aspects of art & design are relevant for leaders? What can it teach them?
- Why should people working in art & design learn about leadership?
- What aspects of leadership are relevant for people working in art & design? What can it teach them?
- What are the different categories of art & design that the participants can learn about in relation to leadership? (For example: street art, architecture, fashion, graphic design… etc)
- Who are some historical figures that we can learn about the connection between art & design and leadership by studying?
- Who are the leaders in art & design today that are role models for leaders?
- How do cultural factors (e.g. Asia, Africa, N & S America, Europe, and individual countries) affect the art & design and leadership connection?