LITERATURE & CULTURE
Literature, like a frigate in Emily Dickinson’s words, sits on the horizon of our lives to take us lands away. It is the perpetuum mobile that turns the cogs of our existence: it inspires, enables, and transforms you into the person you will dare to become. It opens the future like a golden key. It allows you to experience other lives, other cultures, and other worlds, and grow with this knowledge. Fear not its magnetic allure: allow yourself to take the step along the literary journey, and remember: “We are all failures – at least the best of us are.” – J.M. Barrie
“Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.” – Robert F. Kennedy
Subcategories: Poetry, Drama, Novels, Short Stories.
You are expected to do research on the theme of the year, “Leadership: Inspire Change”, in the context of Literature & Culture. You may find the recommended resources below.
The study resources contain several movies and videos to watch, books and articles to read, topics to research, and questions to sharpen your knowledge.
FIND YOUR RESOURCES FOR EACH COMPETITION IN THE BOXES
1 – Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
2 – Whale Rider (2004)
3 – Kung Fu Panda (2008)
1 – Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (1999)
1 – J. K. Rowling
2 – Leo Tolstoy
3 – Rumi
1 – The Leadership Game – Creating Cultures of Leadership by Drew Dudley
2 – Can a Children’s Book Change the World by Linda Sue Park
3 – Mark Twain: Father of American Literature – Fast Facts
4 – Follow the Leader by Suli Breaks
5 – The Inmate, The Student And Tolstoy by Andrew Kaufman
6 – Culture and Leadership by Joseph Trimble
7 – Jordan Peterson On Importance of Reading
ARTICLES & BLOGS
1 – Quotes and Leadership Lessons From Aladdin by Joseph Lalonde
2 – 12 Fictional Characters that Leaders can Learn From by Shane Schutte
3 – Are Athletes Good Role Models? by Frank L. Smoll
4 – The True Meaning of Leadership – Taught by Our Children by Rasmus Hougaard
5 – Quotes and Leadership Lessons From the Live Action Lion King by Joseph Lalonde
6 – Culture and Leadership: They’re Simply Two Sides of the Same Coin by Tim Kuppler
7 – Leadership: Getting the Truth
- What is the connection between literature & culture and leadership?
- Why should leaders know about literature & culture?
- What aspects of literature & culture are relevant for leaders? What can it teach them?
- What are the different categories of literature & culture that the participants can learn about in relation to leadership? (For example: classical/famous literature, modern genres of literature, pop culture, film culture, leadership/business culture, etc)
- How does geography affect the literature & culture – leadership connection?
- Who are some historical figures that we can learn from about the connection between literature & culture and leadership?
- Who are the leaders in literature & culture today that are role models for leaders?