Developing critical thinking skills focusing on the study of society and the relationship among individuals within society, social studies explains the world in which we live by widening our perspectives and viewpoint of current events and human interactions and. Social Sciences ignites a curiosity about real-world issues and it helps us comprehend developments that are taking place in the world and understand our roles in shaping the future and strengthens personal confidence through collaboration and competition.
Subcategories: Education, Law, Human Rights, Philosophy, History, and Geography.
You are expected to do research on the theme of the year, “Leadership: Inspire Change”, in the context of Social Sciences. You may find the recommended resources below.
The study resources contain several movies and videos to watch, books and articles to read, topics to research, and questions to sharpen your knowledge.
1 – Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
2 – Whale Rider (2004)
3 – Kung Fu Panda (2008)
1 – Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (1999)
1 – Greta Thunberg
2 – Noam Chomsky
3 – Confucius
1 – Follow the Leader by Suli Breaks
2 – Steve Jobs Leadership Skills Breakdown – How To Motivate People (by Youtube channel Charisma on Command)
3 – The Explainer: What It Takes to be a Great Leader
4 – School Strike for Climate – Save the World by Changing the Rules by Greta Thunberg
5 – How to Educate Leaders? Liberal Arts by Patrick Awuah
6 – 3 Reasons Why We Can Win the Fight Against Poverty by Andrew Youn
7 – Beacons of Peac, Life Teachings of Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr., Mother Teresa by Periwinkle
ARTICLES & BLOGS
1 – A Youth Leader by Hsin-Yi Cohen
2 – 12 Fictional Characters That Leaders can Learn From by Schane Shutte
3 – 8 Leadership Lessons From History by Margaret MacMillan
4 – Why Leaders Should Learn Geography by Anne-Laure Freant
5 – Why Leaders Should Think Like Teenagers by Simon Cohen
6 – Leadership Styles and Examples by Aastha Dogra
7 – Nurturing Youth Leadership Skills at Home by Marilyn Price-Mitchell
- What is the connection between social sciences and leadership?
- What aspects of social sciences are relevant for leaders? What can it teach them?
- What aspects of leadership are relevant for people working in the social sciences in different categories? What can learning about leadership teach them?
- Who are some historical figures that we can learn from about the connection between social sciences and leadership?
- Who are the leaders in social sciences today that are role models for present and future leaders?
- How do cultural factors in different countries affect the social sciences and leadership connection?